It’s no surprise that winter is the most hazardous season for drivers. Icy and snowy roads make accidents much more common, especially for those who are inexperienced with winter driving. One way to ensure you’re prepared for driving in winter conditions is to follow these tips for tire safety in Lubbock, TX:
- Invest in winter tires: Our number one tip is to buy a set of winter tires for your vehicle. Winter tires are made of softer rubber and have deeper grooves that allow for better traction on slick roads. Even if there isn’t snow in the forecast, winter tires are a good idea if the temperatures are going to routinely be below 45 degrees.
- Change the wheels: In addition to swapping out your regular tires for winter ones, consider getting some winter wheels. Pairing your winter tires with winter wheels eliminates changeover costs, saving you money in the long run. Winter wheels can also spare your standard wheels from wear and tear caused by ice, snow and salt.
- Check the pressure: One of our top tips for tire safety in Lubbock, TX is to check your tire pressure at least once a month. Low tire pressure increases the chances of tire failure and limits your braking and steering control. Tire air pressure changes one pound per square inch for every 10 degrees of temperature change, so buy a pressure gauge and check your tire pressure regularly!
- Rotate regularly: Be sure to rotate your tires! Scheduling tire rotation every 6,000 miles extends the lifespan of your tires and helps you stay safe out on the road. If you’re not switching to winter tires this year, at least come in for a tire rotation before winter weather really sets in.
Winter driving tips
Along with taking care of the maintenance items above, all drivers should adhere to these driving tips to stay safe on the roads each winter:
- Accelerate and brake slowly: Slamming the gas and brake pedals causes your car to lose traction, meaning you could easily slide off the road or hit a car in front of you. Accelerate and brake slowly to prevent either of those scenarios.
- Drive slowly: For ultimate driving safety in Lubbock, TX, be sure you always drive at or under the speed limit during the winter. Speeding is a good way to get into an accident or slide off the road and wind up in a ditch.
- Leave extra space: Driving instructors teach us the three-second rule during driver’s ed. This means keeping a three-second distance from the vehicle in front of you. During the winter, increase that to eight seconds to prevent sliding into other vehicles when braking.
Come see our team at M & M Tire & Service Center
Bring your vehicle to our experts at M & M Tire & Service Center to ensure total driving safety in Lubbock, TX this winter. From a winter tire swap to a full diagnostic test, we’re the best team in town for all of your vehicle’s needs this season.
Categorised in: Tire Shop
This post was written by Writer