Winter can be tough on your car. From cold temperatures to slush, snow, rain and wind, your vehicle is sure to get a workout. To make sure your car stays in great working condition, you can take some precautionary measures to winterize your vehicle.
If you need help winterizing your car, the mechanics in Lubbock, TX at M & M Tire & Service Center would be glad to help! Here’s how we recommend preparing your car for wintertime:
- Check your tires: With the inclement weather comes a greater need for tires that can grip the road properly. Check your tires not only for air, but to replace any whose tread is worn.
- Test your battery: Batteries don’t like cold temperatures, and the last thing you want is to get stuck when you’re traveling for the holidays. Make sure the battery and terminals are free of corrosion, and replace it if it’s more than three years old.
- Check your brake pads and brake fluid: It’s important to make sure your brakes can handle the winter weather, so look for wear and tear on your brake pads, then top off or replace your brake fluid.
- Clean your foggy headlights: Foggy headlights are unsafe headlights. Make sure they’re as bright as possible by cleaning them. If they’re too hazy or damaged, replace them.
- Make sure your heater and defroster are working: Having a working heater is important for your comfort as a driver, and the defroster is vital for safe driving.
- Replace your antifreeze and test your cooling system: This is a good time to drain your cooling system and replace the antifreeze, then make sure the reserve tank fluids are sufficient.
- Keep the gas tank half full: Cold temperatures can cause problems in the gas line—if there’s moisture, it will freeze. Keeping a half-full tank of gas at all times will help solve this problem, and make for an easier start.
- Protect the outside of your car: This is what drive-through car washes were made for—protect your paint from road salt and debris by washing and waxing your vehicle periodically.
- Check the motor oil: As the temperatures drop, oil becomes thicker and more viscous. This makes it harder to lubricate the engine. Be sure your oil stays at the recommended levels and change it, along with the filter, as recommended.
- Inspect your exhaust system: Do you have crimped pipes, or have you noticed any leaks? Get these repaired to prevent carbon monoxide from leaking into the passenger area.
By following these steps, you’re sure to extend the lifespan of your car.
Visit your local mechanic in Lubbock, TX
M & M Tire & Service Center has been serving the Lubbock area since 1975, providing comprehensive auto repair and tune-ups. We’re a family owned and operated business whose goal is to provide you the highest level of service at affordable rates. When you’re ready to get help winterizing your vehicle, call to schedule an appointment or stop by and see us today.
Categorised in: Mechanic
This post was written by Writer