Road trips offer a fun and exciting way to spend time with friends and family. That’s why you don’t want all of your road trip planning to be interrupted by car trouble. Not only would car trouble be annoying, but it could also be dangerous. That’s why it’s important the get a car tune-up from a professional mechanic before hitting the road. Be sure your mechanic pays special attention to these parts and components:
- The brakes: One of the first things you’ll want to have checked is your vehicle’s brakes. Having bad brakes is extremely unsafe and could result in an accident during your road trip. Most brake pads require replacement every 25,000 to 70,000 miles, though this can vary depending on how much you use them. Let a mechanic know about your upcoming road trip and they can recommend whether you should replace your brakes or not.
- The tires: Worn-down tires aren’t going to make it through an entire road trip. Additionally, worn tires will make it much harder to brake, especially in rain or snow. Avoid this by replacing your tires if necessary. It’s possible to check the tread on your own, although for a more accurate diagnosis, you’ll want to visit an auto shop. It’s also important to make sure you have the right amount of air pressure in your tires. Having low air pressure could result in bad fuel efficiency, overheating, premature wear and other problems. The best way of checking your tire’s air pressure is by using an air pressure gauge.
- The fluids: Make sure that all your fluids are topped off before hitting the road. This includes your transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and more. All these fluids are important, especially if you’re driving a long distance. At many auto shops, you can request a “full-service” car tune-up, which typically includes topping off fluids.
- The steering and suspension: There are many things that can affect your vehicle’s steering and suspension systems, including loose steering parts, damaged shocks, worn-out bushings and more. If you want a smooth drive during your road trip, it’s important to fix any issues with your steering and suspension systems.
- The lights and wiper blades: Many people forget to check their lights and wipers. However, these devices are integral when it comes to vehicle safety. Both bad lights and worn wiper blades will impair your vision while on the road. This can easily lead to an accident, which is why it’s important to check these components before your trip.
Don’t let car trouble get in the way of your perfect road trip. While you can check some of the things mentioned above on your own, it’s always best to get a professional’s help. You don’t want to accidentally miss an issue that will negatively affect your road trip.
Let one of the mechanics at M & M Tire & Service Center provide you with a top-quality car tune-up before your trip. We will work hard to make sure your vehicle is safe and ready to hit the road.
Categorised in: Vehicle Maintenance
This post was written by Writer