You might like the winter weather, but your vehicle doesn’t. As freezing temperatures set in, it’s important to pay attention to your car’s maintenance so you don’t run into issues on the way to Grandma’s house, or suffer a breakdown during your holiday shopping. Here are some of the most common winter vehicle problems—and when you need auto repair in Lubbock, TX, you can count on M & M Tire & Service Center to take care of your car just like we’d take care of our own:
- Watch your battery: Batteries don’t function well in cold temperatures, so it’s important to provide a little TLC during the winter months. Try to keep your vehicle indoors in a garage, if possible, and get your battery tested regularly. If it’s older than three years, go ahead and replace it.
- Get your fluids checked: Fluids thicken or freeze in cold temperatures, which makes it important for you to have them checked on a regular basis. Oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid should all undergo regular maintenance to prevent any unfortunate surprises.
- Watch out for corrosion: Snow, water and road salt are not kind to your paint and the undercarriage of your vehicle. Wash your car regularly to make sure it doesn’t experience corrosion or other damage. If you suspect that your car’s undercarriage may be suffering from corrosion, visit a mechanic as soon as possible. To protect the paint, be sure to wax your vehicle periodically.
- Check the tire pressure and tread: Cold weather causes tire pressure to drop by about one pound per square inch for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit. When the temperatures start dropping dramatically, check the tire pressure and inflate according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You should also check your tire tread, as worn tread will not be able to properly grip the roads.
- Get your spark plugs, ignition and filters checked: While not specifically cold-weather related, if your spark plugs fail or your ignition or filters are clogged, your car will have a harder time starting (or may not start at all). Have your mechanic check these to ensure you won’t get stuck on the road in inclement weather.
With smart preventative maintenance and regular checks, your vehicle should be prepared for the cold weather.
Get any necessary auto repair in Lubbock, TX
Don’t get left out in the cold this holiday season—visit M & M Tire & Service Center for general vehicle maintenance auto repair in Lubbock, TX. We’ve been serving area drivers for over four decades, and will always deliver your car back to you running better than ever. Whether you need new brakes and an alignment or you’re experiencing electrical issues, rely on us for a solution. We’re also knowledgeable in engine work, auto heating and AC, suspension systems and just about anything else. When you need the job done right at a competitive price, call or stop by today to schedule an appointment or find out how we can help you.
Categorised in: Auto Repair
This post was written by Writer