Common Summer Car Problems and Their Causes
July 9, 2019 Leave your thoughts
The heat takes a toll on all of us, including our vehicles. If your car seems hot, sluggish or just “off” this season, especially on the hottest summer afternoons, you’re not alone. Instead of waiting for a complete breakdown requiring auto repair in Lubbock, TX, check over this list and make sure you’re taking proper precautions this season to take care of your car and yourself:
- Battery: You may want to examine your battery before the hottest days of summer. Extreme temperatures can take a toll on battery health, especially if your battery is already nearing the end of its life. Heat accelerates corrosion and can damage batteries. Check your terminals for corrosion, and if your battery is over three years old, you may want to have a mechanic take a look.
- Brakes: Listen to your brakes regularly and make sure you don’t hear squeaks, squeals, whines and other noises. If your vehicle is taking longer than usual to slow down, that may also be a sign you’ll need to have your brakes looked at. This is definitely an issue where you don’t want to wait until it’s too late before taking your vehicle to the shop for auto repair in Lubbock, TX.
- AC: Air conditioner problems are very common in the heat of the summer. Before it gets too hot, you may want to test your AC to ensure the blower motor works and the fan blows cold air. If the air is not as cool as it used to be, you may need a charge or a leak, which a properly trained auto mechanic can take care of.
- Tires: Tires can also be affected by extremely hot temperatures. Asphalt absorbs and reflects heat, which is then absorbed into your tires. Make sure to check the air in your tires and ensure they are properly inflated. You may also want to check the condition of the tire tread, especially before long road trips.
- Windshield: There is more road construction in the summer, resulting in more gravel and debris on the road, which can get kicked up into the air and end up cracking your windshield. Windshield cracks can quickly turn into larger problems that, if subjected to impact during a collision, can result in a heightened risk of injury.
- Leaking: If there are wet spots beneath where your car has been parked, it’s likely you have a leak. These may be oil, brake fluid or transmission leaks. Whatever the cause, you’ll need auto repair in Lubbock, TX to fix the repair.
- Shocks and alignment: Hitting potholes and driving on gravelly roads can lead to problems with your shocks and alignment. Your car may feel uneven or sluggish when turning, or even tend to veer to one side or the other. You’ll want to get your car checked out by a technician to determine the cause and fix this problem.
M & M Tire & Service Center provides auto repair in Lubbock, TX and throughout the surrounding area. We have over 40 years of experience and make our customers and the integrity of their vehicles a priority. Bring your car in today for a checkup!
Categorised in: Auto Repair
This post was written by Writer