The holidays are almost here, which means you will be planning gatherings with friends and family. If you are expecting to make any long road trips this holiday season, the last thing you want to run into is car trouble. It’s good idea to check your tires and a do a regular maintenance check on your vehicle at least twice a year, and the start of the winter season is a great time for an inspection. Here are a few tips for doing a pre-road trip vehicle check this winter.
- Test your lights and horn: Have someone stand outside the vehicle while you test all of its lights, including the headlights, high beams, brake lights, taillights, turn signals and emergency lights. Don’t forget to check your horn too!
- Inspect your windshield wipers: If you end up in blinding rain or snow, you want windshield wipers that are working properly. Before your road trip, test your windshield wipers and inspect them for tears to see if they need to be replaced.
- Check your tires: Check your tires thoroughly to make sure they are in good condition. Check for cracks and check your tire pressure. You should also test your tread. You can do this by inserting a penny into several tread grooves. If Lincoln’s head is always covered by the tread, your tread is still good. If you do need to replace your tires before your road trip, stop in at M & M Tire & Service Center. We offer affordable and fast tire replacement in Lubbock, TX.
- Inspect your belts: Check under the hood and make sure that all your belts are in good condition. You should be checking for signs of wear like cracking and fraying.
- Check your oil and other fluids: You should be replacing your oil regularly, but it’s good to double check it before a winter road trip. Check to make sure your oil is clean and that there’s enough oil in your car. You should also be checking your other fluids, like power steering fluid and windshield wiper fluid.
- Test your battery: Cold and damp weather can cause damage to your battery. You should inspect the battery for signs of corrosion and test it to make sure it’s in good condition.
- Try your brakes: Before you leave on your big road trip, be sure to check your brakes. You should inspect your brake pads or have a mechanic do so. You should also test your brakes, listening for any sounds that are out of the ordinary, such as grinding, and any odd sensations in the brake pedal.
We want all of our customers to have safe travel this holiday season. By following these few tips for inspecting your car before your trip, you can make sure that you reach your destination and make it back home again safe and sound. For tire replacement in Lubbock, TX before your road trip, be sure to visit the team of technicians at M & M Tire & Service Center!
Categorised in: Tire Replacement
This post was written by Writer